Building control

Building control and planning are two distinct types of service, which can affect the construction and appearance of buildings.  For most building work two separate applications are needed, planning consent and building regulations.

The Building Control service ensures that new building work is carried out in accordance with the regulations and legislation.  This is to ensure health and safety standards apply to buildings and energy conservation provisions.

When do I contact Building Control?

Find out when you would need to contact Building Control when carrying out building works on your home or business.

How to apply and cost

More details here about how to apply and building control charges.

Works not requiring an application & self certification

Certain types of building work are classed as exempt and do not need Building Regulations approval but may need planning permission.

Starting work

If you are starting a building project and have a building control application approval you will need to follow a set of stages.

Building regulations

Find out more here if you are considering building work and want to check if you need consent.

Party wall act

The Party Wall Act is legislation that assists in situations where there is a shared wall between two properties.

Request a building control inspection

Use this online form to request a building control inspection.

Dangerous buildings and demolition work

If you see a building or structure that looks to be unsafe please contact us - check here to find out more information.

Street naming and numbering

This council is the statutory Street Naming and Numbering Authority and has a legal duty to carry out this service.

Building control contact form

Use this online form to make a general enquiry about Building Control.

Last updated: 5th October 2015

Can't find what you are looking for? Try the A to Z