Electrical collections

We operate a fortnightly collection service for the removal of large electrical items such as fridges, freezers, cookers and washing machines from domestic properties.

When do electrical collections take place?

Collections take place every other Friday and will occur on the following dates:

  • 13 and 27 February
  • 13 and 27 March
  • 10 and 24 April
  • 8 and 22 May

The cut-off time for arranging an electrical collection is 3pm on the Tuesday before the Friday collection.

To book a collection for an electrical item please use our online form

What items will you collect?

Items that we can take include:

• Electric & gas oven / cooker
• Washing machine or tumble dryer
• Dishwasher
• Microwave
• Fridge or freezer
• Computer & monitor
• Television

Items that we cannot take include:

• General furniture – please request a bulky item collection as different charges apply
• Paint
• Plaster board
• Rubble, bricks, stone or concrete
• Soil & garden waste
• Garage doors
• Radiators
• Boilers
• Toilets, basins, baths
• Kitchen cupboards, sinks & worktop
• Motorised vehicles or vehicle parts.

Household chemicals or DIY waste can be taken to the tip at Melandra Road in Glossop, or Waterswallows Road in Buxton. Derbyshire County Council will not charge to receive these items.

How much does it cost to remove electrical items?

Electrical items such as fridges, televisions or washing machines can be removed at a cost of £27 per item (you can include 3 smaller electrical items such as a hairdryer, iron or kettle for no extra cost).

If you are receiving housing and/or council tax benefit the charge will be reduced by 50%.

Where should I leave my electrical items?

Electrical items are collected on alternate Fridays as part of a separate collection service. The items should be left at the front of your property, where you would normally present your wheeled bins for collection. We are unable to enter your property to collect items.

If your property has a communal collection point, electrical items should be left outside, at the front, for easy access.

If you cannot physically move your electrical items because you are disabled, please contact Social Services at Derbyshire County Council who should be able to help you.

Last updated: 16th February 2015

Can't find what you are looking for? Try the A to Z