Request a bulky item collection
We can collect bulky items such as furniture from domestic properties.
Please read through the information on this page to check what we can collect before clicking on the link and completing the online booking form.
Items that we can collect must be crushable and include:
- Settees or 3 piece suites
- Dining room table and chairs
- Bedroom furniture i.e. wardrobes, dressing tables
When booking a bulky collection for a three seater sofa, there is a small chance that we may not be able to collect it if the sofa is particularly large or heavy.
If there are any difficulties with a collection we will contact you to advise of alternative arrangements and if there are any additional costs. Refunds will be offered if we are unable to collect an item.
Items that we cannot collect include:
- Electrical items - please book an electrical collection as different charges apply
- Plaster board
- Rubble, bricks, stone or concrete
- Bathroom suites
- Cast iron baths
- Garage doors
- Motorised vehicles or vehicle parts.
Please note that household chemicals or small amounts of DIY waste can be taken to the tip at Melandra Road in Glossop, or Waterswallows Road in Buxton. Derbyshire County Council will not charge you to use these sites.
Cost to remove bulky items:
- Bulky items such as furniture can be removed at a cost of £22 for up to 5 items.
- Addition items are charged at £4 each (up to a total of 9 items).
- If you have 10 or more items or your items are very large or unusual please contact us to obtain a quote for removal.
- If you receive housing or council tax benefit the charges will be reduced by 50%.
Where should I leave my bulky items and when will they be collected?
Items should be left at the front of your property, where you present your black rubbish bin, on the same day as your scheduled black bin collection.
Please note: We are unable to enter your property to collect items.
If your property has a communal collection point, bulky items should be left outside the front of the property for easy access.
The cut-off time for arranging bulky collections is 3.30pm on the day before your scheduled black bin collection. If your collection day is a Monday all requests must be received by 3.30pm on the Friday before.
If you are unable to move your bulky items because you are disabled, please contact Social Service at Derbyshire County Council who should be able to help you.
My furniture is still fit for use, can I donate it for reuse?
The Glossopdale Furniture Project may be interested in collecting furniture that is suitable for reuse. They collect from your home and there is no charge for this service. Collection can be arranged by telephoning 01457 857505.
Last updated: 1st April 2014