A-Z list of business advice
A-Z list of support:
Business Link provides an online support service for people thinking of starting up in business and established businesses. It contains essential information, support and services for you and your business – whether you work for a large organisation or are on your way to starting up - and provides up to date, practical guidance on regulations and access to government services. It also has a number of useful online tools, calculators, and best practice case studies; and provides information on finance and wider support. There is also a helpline which is primarily to support people finding relevant information on website Tel: 0845 600 9006 It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
- Business Link - Business Support Finder is a searchable database managed by Business Link that can help you find publicly-funded sources of assistance you may be eligible to apply for. Support may be available in a number of forms, including financial assistance and free or subsidised advice services. There may also be specific initiatives to help with starting up, managing or growing a business.
Business Crime Prevention Derbyshire Businesswatch aims to help businesses, to improve security and prevent crime, by working with them to identify the problems and provide solutions. This includes the ability to establish local ‘neighbourhood watch’ type groups covering specific locations or type or business (including farms) and share intelligence from the Police to members.
For a small fee (proportional to the premises size) they can provide a business crime prevention survey for individual business locations and tailored advice along with signposting to suppliers.
For more information, to arrange a survey or to promote your companies security services/products contact Andrew Watterson Tel: 01246 212909 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Chamber of Commerce is the main Chamber organisation serving the area. With a membership base of more than 3,200 businesses and 7,100 affiliates, it is the third largest chamber of commerce in the country. Offers a wide range of business support services, including training and networking opportunities. For more information about the Chamber and services. Tel: 01246 207207.
Designing Demand If you're looking for a designer, thinking of setting up a website for your business or if you simply want to know more about the benefits of branding, there is a series of online free guides offering practical advice and real-life examples from the working world.
Federation of Small Business is a subscription based lobbying organisation, which represents the interests of the self-employed, and people who direct small businesses. Members benefit from free legal advice covering employment law and commercial law; and access to tax advisers and preferential rates on a variety of business services. For further information, please contact Tel: 0808 20 20 888 or E-mail email@example.com
Facebook for business - E-Book Using Facebook for business developed by Enterprise Nation in partnership with Facebook to create the essential guide to using Facebook to boost your business. Free to download.
HM Revenue and Customs offers free training courses for people who are thinking of working for themselves, or have just started working for themselves. The courses cover legislative and taxation issues regarding starting a new business, such as keeping records, filling in and filing tax returns, and employing people. For further information, contact the HM Revenue and Customs helpline on 08459 15 45 15.
Business Link, in partnership with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), has launched 'Basic PAYE Tools' to help local employers run their payroll systems. The new online resource replaces HMRC’s popular Employer CD-ROM. It includes all the CD-ROM’s interactive features plus an automatic update facility, to ensure the tools are up to date with the latest information and figures.
Home Based Businesses Every week in the UK, about 2,000 people start a home-based business. Enterprise Nation is a web-based organisation, which aims to offer a single online destination for all those practising or interested in working from home. Includes weekly features, topical news stories and "how to" guides, with also a free monthly bulletin.
Leadership and Management Advisory Service provided by East Midlands Business (EMB) Ltd provide leadership training and coaching to help organisations grow, improve their productivity and competitiveness. Available to both social enterprises and SME businesses. For more information, call 0845 894 8969, email firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online.
Networking for Innovation is an online network to bring together people from businesses, universities, and research, finance and technology organisations to stimulate innovation through knowledge transfer. Businesses will have access to:
- Networking - frequent opportunities to network with other businesses and academics through targeted events, meetings and Special Interest Groups organised by the Network for Innovation,
- Information and news - free access to on-line services such as reports, newsletters, webinars/e-training, events diaries, e-conferencing and collaboration tools and general sector/application specific information,
- Funding opportunities -advice on Technology Strategy Board Collaborative R& D calls, Knowledge Transfer Partnerships and other sources of funding for innovation such as Framework Programme 7, Eureka, Venture Capital,
- Policy and regulation - a communications route between their community, Government and EU, giving members the opportunity to influence policies and regulation in the UK and abroad.
New Mills School Business and Enterprise College The Business and Enterprise College at New Mills School provides a wide variety of assistance to small businesses, including ICT facilities, fax, photocopying and reprographics facilities, all available at cost; meeting and conference facilities, including catering; and helping staff with their training needs and requirements. The school is keen to set up links with local employers, as its students are willing and able to set up websites and databases at minimal cost. They can also carry out market research, product testing and help to brainstorm ideas for local businesses. For further information, visit the Business and Enterprise College website.
Open to Export - digital platform delivered in collaboration between UK Trade & Investment and hibu. The service is designed to bring UK businesses best practice knowledge and bespoke advice to help them enter new markets and successfully operate overseas.
Office of Fair Trading The OFT is designed with two purposes: to protect consumers and explain their rights; and to ensure that businesses compete and operate fairly. Their business advice section contains a quick guide to the main rules covering how you sell, treat your customers, compete, and how you can protect your business from scams.
Peak Directions - A website listing business support organisations
Rural Business project provided by Peak District National Park Authority. Offers coaching and support for green businesses, those that benefit the national park or want make the most of the Peak District as a marketing tool. Tel: 01629 816561; e-mail:email@example.com Aldern House, Baslow Road, Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1AE
Trading Standards Institute The TSI provides summaries of business guidance on compliance with trading standards legislation on a range of topics from keeping animals to labelling of foods and selling fireworks.
UK Trade & Investment Help to prepare your company to start exporting, to improve your company’s exporting capabilities and to help you enter new export markets. Funding, (matched by your own funds), workshops and support is available to:
- Gain the skills needed to trade internationally;
- Learn how to conduct market research;
- Travel to new markets and participate in trade fairs;
- Learn how to overcome cultural barriers to exporting;
- Receive information, contacts and on the spot assistance to help you win business in new overseas markets.
Contact UK Trade and Investment Derbyshire - Kerry Bailey Tel: 01332 826427 Mobile: 07769 235 308| E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supplying the council
- Current business opportunities
- Employing people
- Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR)
- Change of use
- Advertisement consent
- J4b is a signposting service to help entrepreneurs find out about grants, financial assistance, subsides and in-kind help.
- Peak Directions is a website that links to a range of organisations that provide support and information for businesses in the Peak District area.
- Business mentors & coaching
- Starting a business – support & advice
Last updated: 13th May 2013