Who can vote

Why should I vote?

This is an important way you can make your voice heard on issues that concern you.  Every day decisions are made on your behalf by your parish, district, county councillors, you MP and MEP's on a wide range of local and national issues. 

Don't lose your right to vote - make sure you are registered to vote!

You are allowed to vote if you are one of these people:

  • All British, Commonwealth, Irish and other European Union citizens
  • Members of HM Forces and their spouses
  • Crown Servants employed outside the United Kingdom
  • European citizens (but only in European and local elections)
  • Overseas electors (but only in Parliamentary and European elections)

The same register is used for all the various elections.

Ordinary Electors

These are the majority. They must be British or Commonwealth Citizens. Their names have to be included on the canvass registration form. A person is required by law to complete and return the registration form.

Young Voters - Attainers

These are young people who will be 18 yrs old sometime during the currency of the register. Their dates of birth are indicated before their names in the register. They cannot vote in elections held before they are 18.

Overseas Electors

British citizens living permanently abroad can register using the form below. Their names always appear at the end of the register for their particular polling district under the heading "Other Electors". Their names are preceded by the letter "F" and they may only vote in Parliamentary and European Parliamentary elections.

European Union Citizens

They register by including their names on the registration form in a separate column. They must be nationals of one of the EU Countries other than British or Irish - see note 3e on reverse of the registration form. Their names are preceded by the letter "G" and they may only vote in local government elections. When we notice their names on the registration form we have to send them a second Form UC1. If they complete and return this form (to confirm they no longer vote in their home country) the "G" is changed to a "K" and they are then entitled to vote at both local and European Parliamentary elections.

Peers of the Realm

Members of the House of Lords may not vote at Parliamentary elections. Their names are preceded by the letter "L" .

European Peers

Euro peers may only vote at European Parliamentary Elections. Their names are preceded by the letter "E" . There are none on the current register.

Service Voters

The names of service voters can be included on the registration form in the usual way, or they may complete a Service Declaration. They register at the address where they would be living if they were not away in the Army, Navy or RAF. Most of them vote by post or by proxy because they are usually away on polling day. The spouse of a service person can register in the usual way as an ordinary voter or they may register as a service voter (Service Declaration) if they so wish.

Last updated: 23rd January 2015

Can't find what you are looking for? Try the A to Z