Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

The Coronation

The Coronation

The Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort will take place at Westminster Abbey on Saturday 6th May, 2023.  Buckingham Palace has announced that ceremonial, celebratory and community events will take place over the Coronation Weekend between Saturday 6th and Monday 8th May 2023.  These will include a special Coronation Concert, The Coronation Big Lunch and The Big Help Out.

The Coronation Grant Fund

To support communities to hold their own events and activities, the Council has created the Coronation grant fund totalling £20,000.  The grant must be used to hold an event or activity open to the general public directly related to Coronation or for preparations leading up to an event taking place during the bank holiday weekend.

Grants of £550 - £750 are available to every parish or town council in the Borough.  Parish or town councils may wish to make a joint application or the fund can be available to community groups where the town/parish council gives its support to the application. 

Grants are also available to community groups organising events and activities in areas not represented by a parish/town council, up to a maximum grant of £750 for each event on a first come first served basis.

Application forms for grants should be submitted by 22 March 2023.

The Coronation Grant Application Form [64KB]

Please email your completed form to

Further Information

Further details on how to get involved can be found on The Coronation website and the Royal Family website.

If you are planning to organise an event on council owned land please visit our Events in public places page.

Road Closures and Licensing

If you are planning to close a road you will need to apply for a Road Closure Order in advance of the event, so that the Highways Authority and Police can be consulted to ensure that there will be no undue impact on traffic management.

Other activities such as charitable collections, sale of alcohol and playing amplified music may also require a licence.

For all other enquiries please email