Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Dangerous buildings and demolition work

What are Dangerous Structures and What are the Councils Responsibilities?

The council's responsibility is to protect members of the public from dangerous buildings. We try, either with the co-operation of the building owner or through legal action, to make the situation safe. We also advise authorities such as the fire brigade if buildings are safe to enter.

We have a duty to respond to emergency situations where buildings have become dangerous due to:

  • vehicle impact
  • severe weather
  • fire
  • disrepair or vandalism where the building, or parts of it, are about to / have fallen down

Dangerous structures fall into two categories:

  • Imminently: structures which are at risk of collapse and must be secured for public safety. The owner will normally be recharged for emergency works carried out in these cases.
  • Hazardous: structures deemed unstable after a survey but not imminently dangerous. In these cases the owner is given reasonable time to remove the danger. Failure to respond may result in a Magistrates Court Order being obtained.

If a building or structure is creating a danger to the public, please contact us by phone on 0345 129 7777.

You can telephone this number at any time. If you call outside of office hours, you will be diverted to the emergency call centre.

Other organisations to contact

  • Unsafe scaffolding or working practice on site (including asbestos) - Contact the Health and Safety Executive
  • Highways, wall or road surface damage - Contact Derbyshire County Council. Up to 8pm - 08456 058 058, after 8pm - 01629 533085.
  • Flood or gas leak - Contact the appropriate utilities provider. Severn Trent, United Utilities, National Grid

Demolition work

Anyone that intends to demolish a building  is required by law to serve a notice called a 'Section 80' with us. 

Once registered, we will then consult with the relevant parties and where appropriate, consent to demolish will be issued.

All demolitions require notice, except:

  • Demolition due to a demolition order
  • Demolition of part of a building which is occupied and intended to continue been occupied
  • The building has a cubic content less than 49m3
  • An agricultural building, unless it is attached to a building other than above

No other works must be started without a Section 80 Notice being sent to us.  [65KB]