Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Advice for employees

England is now in a national lockdown due to rising cases of Coronavirus.

Find out more on the guidance online via


Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 or who has been contacted through the NHS test and trace will need to self-isolate by law.

As this new legal duty may impact your ability to work and earn a living, the government has introduced a scheme for those who are having to self-isolate and are on a low income which will commence on 28 September 2020 and will close on 31 January 2021.

If you have to stay at home but feel well enough to work, ask your employer if you can work from home. If you can work from home, you will not need an isolation note.

Furloughed workers

If you and your employer both agree, your employer might be able to keep you on the payroll if they're unable to operate or have no work for you to do because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). This is known as being 'on furlough'.

If you are self-employed

Financial support will be provided to self-employed workers through the 'Self-Employed Income Support Scheme'. 

Self-employed workers will receive a taxable grant of 80% of their average monthly income, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.  HMRC will contact self-employed workers directly if they're eligible for the scheme.

You may qualify for claim Universal Credit, providing you meet the usual eligibility criteria.

If you are self employed/run your own business and are between the ages of 18 -30, you may also be able to draw upon Prince’s Trust and NatWest Enterprise Relief Fund