Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and need help and advice on the housing options which are available to you please contact the housing advice team in confidence. 

Sometimes it's difficult to know

  • Does your partner or ex-partner threaten you and your children?

  • Are you and your children often frightened by your partner?

  • Are you constantly degraded and picked on?

  • Are you not allowed to have contact with friends and family?

  • Does your partner constantly check where you have been, how much you spend, who you speak to?

Domestic abuse covers a range of behaviours including physical, emotional, sexual and financial abuse, within all types of relationships. This can include threats, constant criticism, isolation, money being controlled and forced sex.

What can I do?

If you are being abused it is useful to talk to someone about what has happened, even if you do not want to do anything about it. Often it is helpful to speak to someone and get some support for yourself. Getting someone to record the incidents will help you in the future if you do decide to take action.

Useful Contacts:

In an emergency call 999

Homelessness - 0345 129 8075 (Mon - Fri 9am - 4.30pm) (Out of hours ring 01629 532600)

Derbyshire Domestic Abuse 24 Hour Helpline This is a single point of access for local services, available to men and women over 16 years of age. They offer a wide range of services such as access to emergency refuge accommodation, outreach support (including counselling, self esteem and confidence building), advocacy, safety planning, safety measures in the home, children's support and more. They also offer a programme for perpetrators of domestic abuse who want help in changing their behaviour. Tel: 0800 0198 668

National Domestic Violence 24 Hour Helpline 0808 200 0247 You can talk confidentially to someone about your situation and find out what your options are. 

If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse you can contact the Men's Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.  

If you are in a same-sex relationship you can call the National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 999 5428.