Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Road closure orders

Road Closure Orders are generally granted in respect of public events such as carnivals, festivals, spring fairs, street parties, marathons and rallies.

Your road closure application should be submitted to the licensing department at least 12 weeks before the start of the event. This will ensure that you do not arrange an event which may not be able to take place if your application is rejected.

Your application must include a map of the roads that you wish to have closed clearly marked;  a map of the diversions you intend to implement, and a copy of your Public Liability Insurance cover valid for the date of the closure with an indemnity cover of a minimum of £5 million.

Please note from 1 April 2023 there may now be a charge for a Road Closure Order application dependent on what the Closure is being requested for.

Type of Event


Road Closures Events where there is a charge for participation or for spectators


Events that primarily benefit business or other commercial organisations


Carnivals / Fetes or any other events that raise funds through collections / donations


Remembrance / Well Dressings or other commemorative Parades


Royal Events


In order to pay the fee, please telephone 01298 28400 or 0345 129 7777 and wait for an operative to answer.  They will be able to take you payment and inform the service that your remittance has been received.

Once your application has been submitted and, if appropriate, the payment received, we will send it to Derbyshire County Council and Derbyshire Police Authorities for it to be assessed.

If any objections come up during this process we will let you know and put you in contact with the relevant body to resolve the issue.

Approximately 3 weeks before the event we confirm if your application has been successful and send you six laminated copies of the road closure notice. The notices must be posted in the streets and surrounding affected areas at least 14 days before the event.

Along with submitting the application for road closure to us you must also agree to the following terms:

  • Consent is given to the temporary closure of roads subject to the approval of the Police and contact should be made with them before submitting this form. The Council will contact the Highways Authority on your behalf for consent to the application.

  • Consent is given on the understanding that the frontages of the properties involved or affected by the closure have no objections and have been consulted on the proposals. Consultation can be in the form of advertising in the local paper or a leaflet drop in advance of the event. Please ensure that there are no disabled residents affected by your closure.

  • The Organiser to inform the Parish Council of the date and times of their event.

  • Proper signing of the closure, erection of road closed signs and any diversion route should be carried out by the organisers in consultation with the police. If you require road barriers, you will need to hire these from private companies or make enquiries with the Highway Authority.

  • Where any bus services are involved consent is given subject to the Bus Companies agreeing and re-routing. 

  • The Organisers should organise the event so that fire, police and ambulance services can gain access in an emergency.

  • It is most desirable that temporary closures be cleared before the hours of darkness but where this is not possible then the signs etc. should be illuminated.

  • The site of the event should be left in a clean and tidy condition.

  • The Organisers should indemnify the Highway Authority by means of insurance against public liability that may arise from the closure.  Please provide a copy of your insurance which covers the dates of the closure (minimum £5million).

  • If you are having a street party, more information can be found on which includes details on risk assessment, musical entertainment and licences required for alcoholic drinks. Information on Licensable activities such as the sale of alcohol, street collections and temporary event notices can be found on our licensing page.

  • It is the responsibility of the Organisers to post laminated notices on lamp posts at least two week prior to the event, which will be supplied by the Council and then take the notices down after the event.

If you think that you may require a licence/temporary event notice for any aspect for your event, view our licensing section

Application for a road closure order [237KB]