Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Voting by post or proxy

Voting by post or proxy

Postal voting gives you the option of voting by post rather than visiting a polling station.

A proxy is where you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf either at your polling station or by post. If you want to appoint a proxy you'll need to provide a reason why, for example, you're on holiday or in hospital.

Anyone who is registered on the Electoral Register can apply to vote by post or appoint a proxy to vote on their behalf.

You can apply for a postal or proxy vote to be set up for the maximum period of time allowed for each application, for a temporary period of time (for example if you are away at university) or for 1 election.

We must check the identity of the each person on an application for a postal or proxy vote so the application must include all of the following,

  • applicant's full name and registered address
  • date of birth
  • national insurance number
  • signature
  • postal applications only - an address where the ballot papers should be sent to if this is different from the registered address and the reason why
  • proxy applications only - details of the person the applicant wishes to appoint as their proxy to vote in person on their behalf

Apply online at for a postal vote.

Apply online at for a proxy vote.

You can return a completed paper postal or proxy application form by emailing and attaching a JPEG or PDF of the completed application form; or by post to High Peak Borough Council, Buxton Town Hall, Market Place, Buxton SK17 6EL

A person is not entitled to vote as a proxy in any electoral area on behalf of more than 4 electors. Within the 4 electors, no more than 2 can be domestic electors (Domestic electors are those electors who are neither service voters nor overseas electors).

If you need help with this or have any queries please email or call 0345 129 4851

Cancelling a postal or proxy vote

If you need to cancel your postal / proxy vote, you need to contact us either by e-mail or in writing.

  • By e-mail:
  • In writing: Elections, High Peak Borough Council, Town Hall, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 6EL

Overseas electors

From 16 January 2024 British citizens can register as overseas electors if they are currently living abroad regardless of when they left the UK provided they satisfy the previously registered or previously resident criteria.

If you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register as an overseas voter. 

You will need to provide:

  • the full name of a parent and your birth certificate which includes the parent's name and their date of birth or the full name of your guardian and evidence that confirms the person named was your guardian when you left the UK.