Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Do you need help paying rent?

If you pay rent for your home, you may be entitled to help with rent payments from either Universal Credit or housing benefit. You can apply for both of these benefits online, but only housing benefit is claimed from High Peak Borough Council.

Claiming Universal Credit

You will need to claim Universal Credit unless:

  • you and your partner are pension age
  • you live in supported accommodation, rented from a housing association or registered charity
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation
  • you are already receiving Housing Benefit and have had a change to your circumstances. Please make sure you tell us about a change via our online form - Tell us about a change

If any of the above apply, you will need to make a claim for housing benefit.

Check which benefit you should apply for

It's really important that you claim the right benefit. If you don't, you could miss out on money that you are entitled to and your claim could be delayed.

Claiming housing benefit

If you know you need to claim housing benefit, you can make an application by logging in to your benefits account or by using the button below.

Claiming council tax reduction

If you are applying for Universal Credit you will need to make a separate application for council tax reduction to help towards your council tax payments. If you are applying for housing benefit, you can apply for council tax reduction as part of your application.

You can apply online by clicking in the button below.

  • The application will take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete. 
  • You will need to have your personal and income details in order to complete the form.
  • Please upload any evidence when you complete the form as this will speed up the processing of your claim.
  • You will need an email address to complete the form and you may be contacted by email if we require any further information

Need help?

If you do not have an e-mail address, or need advice on how to complete the form, please contact us by clicking on the button below. 

You can also contact High Peak Citizens Advice for help with the form. They will be able to offer you an appointment at one of their offices in Buxton, Glossop or New Mills.