Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Payment on two homes

You may be able to get payment on two homes in certain circumstances. Housing benefit is normally only paid for the rent you pay on one home.

There are a few exceptions to this and you may be able to get extra help if you have moved due to one of the reasons below.

Unavoidable Overlap

If you have moved to a new home which you rent and still have to pay rent on your old home, you may be able to get some help.

The situation has to be unavoidable, for example if you were offered a new home to rent but were unable to give your old landlord the notice he needed.

Benefit may be paid for up to 4 weeks on your old home. For this to be considered you must have moved to your new home.

Fear of violence

You may get benefit if you have left your former home and are staying away because of violence or fear of violence. This can be either in your home by another person, or outside your home by a former member of your family.

We always have to consider if it is reasonable to pay benefit and we may pay for up to 52 weeks. For benefit to be paid you must intend to return and live in the home you left.

Student or Trainees

Couples who are living in separate rented accommodation may receive benefit for both properties. We must agree that you cannot avoid living in separate accommodation and that it is reasonable to pay benefit on both homes.

Large Families

If you have a large family and the council has housed you in two separate homes because your household is too large to be placed in one home, we can pay benefit for both properties.

How to apply

To apply for benefit on two homes you will need to complete an application form using the button below.