Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Check if you need planning permission

Find out if you need planning permission, through the National Portal or our householder advice service.

Do you need permission?

You can go to the Planning Portal website for advice and guidance on common building work projects. Building regulations are usually required even if planning permission isn't.

If you're still unsure.

If you're still unsure if you need permission we offer a householder request service.

You will need to complete the online form below. There is a charge of £68.50 for this service. You will be asked to pay this amount as you complete the form by debit or credit card.

You will receive a response from us within 10 working days of receiving the request. This will tell you whether or not you need planning permission for your project.

Lawful Development Certificates

For peace of mind you may choose to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but is proof that your household building work is lawful. You can usually get one of these if planning permission is not required.

Read more about Lawful Development Certificates