Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Council Tax reductions in special circumstances (Section 13A)

In exceptional circumstances a reduction may be given to occupied and unoccupied properties for example where the council tax payer suddenly finds that they are suffering financial hardship, or where a property has been flooded which means it cannot be currently occupied.

The decision on whether to grant this reduction is at the Council's discretion and you must ensure that before you apply you have taken reasonable steps to resolve the problem.

When applying for this reduction we will need evidence of your situation and of what you have done to try to resolve the problems. We will also need to be sure that if you are in arrears with your Council Tax, this is for a genuine reason - not simply because you have chosen not to pay.

If you are applying because of financial problems, you will need to tell us about your income and about what you spend.

If you are applying because of fire or flood damage, you will need to send full details of the damage plus evidence such as reports, photographs and written confirmation from your insurance company that they will not cover the Council Tax in respect of the damaged property.