Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Making a noise complaint

A 'commercial complaint' is a complaint against a business or industrial premise. Types of premise range from pubs and restaurants to large factories.

Noise complaints

We will investigate:

  • loud music (pubs and clubs for example)
  • activity during unsociable hours
  • loud noise from fans or other industrial machinery
  • excessively loud working practices (for example drilling)
  • loud outdoor speakers
  • constant hum of fan equipment 

We won't investigate one off events such as parties, or noise which is intermittent and has long intervals between events.

Although we don't operate an out of hours service, we can make pre-arranged visits out of hours to investigate ongoing noise complaints. Any calls received out of hours will normally be dealt with by an officer the next working day.

Making a complaint

Before you make a complaint to us, please be aware that:

  • you might be required to record any noise incidents on a log sheet provided by us
  • we might need access to your property to monitor the noise
  • you could be asked to provide a witness statement and appear as a witness in court

We don't investigate anonymous complaints. Your identity won't be revealed during our initial investigations, but it might be necessary to present a statement in court if a prosecution is made.