Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Cost of living - Support

Below are a number of links to local and national organisations who offer support, advice and in some cases financial support and grants to help towards the cost of living.

High Peak

Visit our Reduce Energy Use webpage to find help to reduce your energy use.

Warmer Derby and Derbyshire offer advice on energy bills, switching tariffs, how you can make your home more energy efficient and what grants are available for heating systems and insulation.

Our Energy Debt webpage has information on how you can avoid fuel debt and a number of energy trusts who may be able to help as the cost of living increases.

There are a number of schemes and grants available that may be able to help you with your fuel bills or to make your home more energy efficient. Visit our grants page to find out more.

You can apply for council tax reduction and housing benefit from High Peak Borough Council.

Derbyshire County Council has created a cost of living area on their website which offers lots of information to help residents during this time. This includes support for families, local food support projects, help for carers and people with disabilities and energy grant schemes.

Support with the Cost of living leaflet Aug 2022 [613KB]

With winter approaching and, as the cost of living crisis and energy price hikes continue, a number of charities, community groups and small businesses have committed to opening up their premises as 'Welcoming Spaces' where residents can go to keep warm. You can find out more on spaces available by visiting our Welcoming Spaces page.


  • The Government has introduced a cost of living and disability cost of living payment for people on certain benefits to help with increased costs. To find out more visit
  • Citizens' Advice offers help and information for people who need more support with cost of living. Visit their website where they have collated lots of information and links to websites where more help is available.
  • If you need help to manage your budget or if you're struggling with debt visit Money Helper. Money Helper offer free support, advice and impartial guidance.
  • Use the benefits checker to see if you may be entitled to any benefits to help during this time.
  • Help for Households is a Government website which provides support and advice with cost of living. It includes information on energy bills, childcare, income support, transport costs and help finding work.
  • Looking after our mental health is really important. If you feel anxious or are struggling visit Every Mind Matters where you'll find lots of help and tips to help look after you and your mental health.
  • Get water fit today - Find out how and where you use water in your home and discover easy ways to make savings.
  • My Advice Gateway is a free resource to help you quickly find the information you need to claim benefits, access help and support or look for a job or training opportunities. Other services include sections on banking, insurance and how to manage debt.
  • The Royal British Legion has launched Everyday Needs Grants, providing up to £2,400 over 12 months for members of the Armed Forces community. Read more and apply here:
  • Green Doctors provide FREE services such as helping fix causes of heat loss in your home, tackling problems with damp or mould; and have useful tips for saving energy and water whilst ensuring your home stays safe and comfortable

Help through Hardship - freephone number to allow individuals to talk confidentially to a trained Citizens Advice adviser:

Community Organisations

Voluntary, community and charity organisations in Derbyshire can also apply for a grant to set up warm spaces this winter from Derbyshire County Council DCC. They have launched a £50,000 Warm Spaces Fund to support organisations to provide a warm refuge for residents and their families struggling to heat their homes.

Organisations can apply for up to £1,000 towards the cost of opening up community venues or to extend their opening hours during the colder months.

If you would like to apply for a warm spaces grant please email for an application form. There is more information on the DCC website: Warm spaces - Derbyshire County Council