Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

The Self Build Register

The Self-Build and Custom House building Act 2015 places a duty on councils to keep a register of individuals and community groups locally who want to acquire land for self-build homes and to have regard to these registers in carrying out its planning function.

We are looking at  gathering evidence to see if there is a demand for this type of development within High Peak. If we then become aware of land that may be suitable for self build, we can highlight this information to relevant parties. 

Read about the legislation.

Please be aware that self build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes.

Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria below:

  • you are over 18
  • the property will be your sole or main residence
  • you are a British citizen or a national of an EEA State other than the UK or Switzerland

Please note that those areas of the High Peak falling within the Peak District National Park are controlled by the separate Peak District National Park Planning Authority, which maintains its own self-build register. Consequently anyone wishing to register their interest for self-build within the Peak Park area should contact the Peak District National Park Planning Authority