Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Alterations to ex-council properties

If you want to alter a property that used to be a council house, you will need to apply, and pay for, consent.

Why you need to apply for consent

Consent is required as part of the 'conveyance' (transfer of legal ownership) of your property.

Alterations that need consent

You do not need consent to make any internal alterations to the property. You will need consent for any external works, such as:

  • porches
  • extensions
  • hard standings
  • driveways
  • changes to external elevations

Do I need planning permission?

Yes. You must obtain any necessary planning or building consents. 

If the alteration is for a driveway or hard standing for vehicles and access is required from the highway, you should contact Derbyshire County Council 

How to apply

Please complete the application form below and e-mail to us along with a plan / drawings that detail the changes you are planning to make to the property.

Application to alter an ex-council house [27KB]

Are there any fees to pay?

Yes. You will need to pay for each individual alteration. We will calculate the fee once your application form is received.