Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

What is a local connection?

What is local connection?

You have a local connection if you:

  • Have lived in the High Peak for six out of the last 12 months, or three out of the last five years, or
  • Have employment here, or
  • Have family associations here. This has to be a close relative such as a parent, brother or sister, or adult child, or
  • Have special circumstances, which we would consider on an individual basis.

You do not have a local connection if you have been living in the High Peak in somewhere such as a hospital or at college here etc.

If you do not have local connection with the High Peak but have one with another local authority, we will refer your application to that council. You would not be referred to an area where you would be at risk of violence.

It is possible to have a local connection with more than one area. Before we make referral we would consult you about which area you would prefer to be referred to.

If you have a local connection here and with another council area, we would not be able to refer you elsewhere, so if your preference is to live in that other area, then it would be a good idea to approach that council.