Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Am I eligible for assistance?

Am I eligible for assistance?

You must normally live in the UK long-term and not be subject to immigration control.

We cannot by law help the following groups, apart from giving advice, as they are not eligible.

(a) You are subject to immigration control and have limited rights to be here. (We will check your immigration status and tell the authorities if you are here illegally).

(b) You are here from abroad and not able to claim state benefits (you have no access to public funds).

(c) You are not normally or 'habitually' resident in the U.K.

(d) You are an asylum seeker (You may qualify for temporary accommodation from central government while your claim is considered)

Further information is available on the Shelter website