Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Councillor's privacy notice

This privacy notice should be applied to each councillor in High Peak - I refers to the councillor.

Privacy notice

You have a right to know how, when and why I collect and use your personal data.

I must process your data in accordance with data protection legislation.

Personal data is information about a living person that means we can work out who they are such as name, address, telephone number, date of birth, bank details etc. This can include written letters, emails, photographs, audio recordings and video recordings.

Some data is called special category data which is more sensitive, and we have to look after it more carefully. This includes details of ethnic origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, trade union membership, health data, and biometric (eg fingerprints, facial recognition) and genetic (eg DNA) data. 

Why I collect and store personal data


I collect data to carry out casework on behalf of individual constituents. When I am carrying out this role, I am the data controller for the information that I hold to perform this task.

Why I can process your data

The law says I must have one of these reasons:

  • When I have your consent
  • When it is my legal duty
  • When I have official authority or I'm performing a task carried out in the public interest
  • When it is in your vital interests

When processing special category (sensitive) data I will usually be able to rely on the Data Protection (Processing of Sensitive Personal Data)(Elected Representatives) Order 2002 as a condition for processing.

As the data controller, I must:

  • only keep your data that I need to undertake the casework on your behalf
  • keep your records safe and accurate
  • only keep your data as long as I need to
  • collect, store and use your data in a way that does not break any data protection laws.

Things you can do to help us:

  • tell me when any of your details change; and
  • tell me if any of the information I hold on you is wrong.

Acting as an Elected Member of the Council

When I am attending Council meetings, or if carrying out an Executive role, then my actions are covered by the Council's privacy notice. More details can be found here.

Sharing your personal information

I sometimes need to share the personal information I process with other organisations to respond to your complaint, query or request. Where this is necessary I am required to comply with all aspects of the data protection laws.

The types of organisations I may share personal information with, but only where necessary, includes:

  • elected representatives and other holders of public office
  • landlords
  • local and central government
  • statutory law enforcement agencies and investigating bodies
  • political organisations
  • the media
  • healthcare, social and welfare advisers or practitioners
  • suppliers
  • the subject of complaints

I will share your data with organisations I have a contract with in order to provide the service, eg High Peak Borough Council as an IT provider.

I will not share it with any other third party unless required to do so by law, eg law enforcement agencies such as the Police, HMRC, Immigration, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), etc.

Fair and Transparent Processing

How long we keep data

I must not keep your data for longer than is required for the purpose for which it was collected. The length of time that I will keep your data will vary according to the reason it was collected. Normally, I will not retain your information for more than 7 years unless required to do so by law.

Your rights

The GDPR provides individuals with a number of rights:

1.The right to be informed

2.The right of access

3.The right to rectification

4.The right to erasure

5.The right to restrict processing

6.The right to data portability

7.The right to object

8.Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.

More information about the rights of individuals can be found on the ICO's website.

Raising Concerns

If you are concerned about the way that I am handling your information then please contact me. I will investigate your concerns and respond to you within 28 calendar days.

If you are still unhappy after receiving my response then you can raise your concerns with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). More information about raising concerns, including how to contact the ICO, is provided on the ICO website.

Changes to this privacy notice

We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice is v1.0 and was last updated on 18 September 2019.