Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Trees in conservation areas

Trees are an important part of the overall look of a conservation area and are protected.

Which trees are protected?

Any tree within a conservation area with a stem diameter over 7.5cm (measured at a height of 1.5m) is protected, regardless of species or age. If you want to carry out work on a tree in a conservation area, you need to notify us at least 6 weeks before you intend to start the work.

How do I check whether a tree is protected?

Check the map to see if a particular tree is protected or in a conservation area.

Apply to work on a protected tree [730KB]

How long does it take to get permission?

We will respond to your request within 6 weeks of receiving the notification form.

Do I have to pay?

No, applications to carry out work on protected trees are free of charge.

Contact our Arboricultural Officer if you have any questions or want to discuss the proposed work before you apply. 

Who can carry out the work?

Tree work is dangerous and should only be carried out by well trained arboricultural contractors. Search for approved contractors on the Arboricultural Association website.