Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Student / Apprentice discounts

For council tax purposes, people such as students, and those on certain apprenticeship schemes, will not be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property. This may mean that the bill is reduced by 25% depending on who else lives with you.


To qualify you must be either:

a) attending a full time course of further or higher education at a University, College or other educational establishment. The course must last for at least 1 year and involve at least 21 hours attendance per week for at least 24 weeks in the year.


b) under 20 years of age and attending a course which lasts more than 3 calendar months and involves at least 12 hour attendance per week between 8am and 5.30pm.

You'll need to ask your college or university for a student certificate (unless you attend the University of Derby where this is not needed). You can photograph or scan this and upload it with your application form.

Student nurses

As a student nurse you can get a discount on your council tax bill if you are taking a degree course which, if successfully completed, would lead to employment as a nurse, midwife or health visitor.


An apprentice will be disregarded if he / she is:

  • employed for the purpose of learning a trade, profession, business, office, employment or vocation
  • undertaking a programme of training leading to an accredited qualification
  • receiving a salary or allowance of less than £195 per week, and
  • that salary or allowance is substantially less than he/she would expect to receive when qualified

You'll also need to ask your employer to complete an employers certificate, which you can download below.

How to apply for an apprentice discount

Download an apprentice discount application form. [39KB]

You'll also need to ask your employer to complete an employers certificate, which you can download below.

Employers certificate for apprentices [110KB]

How to apply for a student discount or exemption

To apply for a discount or exemption you will need to create or log in to a High Peak online account. If you don't have one already, click the button below and register. If you already have an account with us you can also log in here.

Once you're registered

  • go to 'Submit a request' and select the Council Tax discount form
  • it should take between 5 and 10 minutes to complete
  • you can upload scanned / saved evidence of your address, income and other benefits or do this later

What happens next?

We will contact you (usually via email), if we need any further information, and to let you know the progress of your application. We aim to process discounts / exemptions within 21 working days.

You will be able to view any changes to your council tax online, via your account, once your discount has been processed.