Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Do you need help paying council tax?

You can claim 'council tax reduction' if you receive a council tax bill for the property you live in, and the bill is in your name or joint names with someone else.  

You won't be able to claim if:

  • you are of pension age and you and any partner have over £16,000 in savings (unless you receive the guarantee element of Pension Credit Savings Credit)
  • you are working age and you and any partner have more than £10,000 in savings. 

Use our benefits calculator to work out what you are entitled to.

How to apply

You can apply online by clicking in the button below.

  • The application will take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete. 
  • You will need to have your personal and income details in order to complete the form.
  • Please upload any evidence when you complete the form as this will speed up the processing of your claim.
  • You will need an email address to complete the form and you may be contacted by email if we require any further information

Exceptional Hardship Payment

If you are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction but are finding it difficult to pay the balance on your Council Tax account you may be entitled to an Exceptional Hardship payment.

If you are working aged and are or have been in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, and found that you have been entitled to less help since we changed our scheme on 1st April 2023, you may also be entitled to this payment.  Please follow the link below to apply, we will take into account income and expenditure and you may be asked to provide proof.  Any payments made will be paid to your Council Tax account to reduce the balance.

Second Adult Rebate (SAR)

Second Adult Rebate is a form of Council Tax Reduction for Pensioners. Single pensioners in a household are awarded a 25% discount off their Council Tax bill. If you don't get this discount because a dependent adult lives with you, you may be entitled to Second Adult Rebate.

Working-age income banded scheme

From the 1st April 2023 we have introduced a banding scheme for working aged customers.

The aim of the new scheme is to make the amount of support customers receive more stable month-to-month. The scheme also offers those on the lowest incomes up to 100% discount on their council tax bill.

If you are of pension age and don't get this discount because a dependant adult lives with you, you may be entitled to second adult rebate.

Other council tax discounts

If you are not entitled to council tax reduction you may be entitled to a discount if you:

  • are a student
  • are the only adult living in a property
  • are disabled and have adapted your home
  • own an empty property that you are not living in
  • have moved away to provide or receive care