Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Complaints procedure

We aim to resolve complaints as soon as we can .We are committed to using the information we receive from complaints to improve services and undertake regular reviews of this information. Where applicable we will resolve the issue informally by raising a request for service or discussing with the service area involved .You will receive a response within 15 working days advising of the action taken.

We use the following definition, from the Local Government Ombudsman, to decide if a complaint has been made:"A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about a council service (whether that service is provided directly by the council or by a contractor or partner) that requires a response."

If the complaint is to follow the formal complaints process then the following will apply;

Stage 1 - A manager will respond to your complaint within 15 working days.

Stage 2 - If you are not satisfied with our stage 1 response the director for the service area will review the matter and contact you within 20 working days with a view to resolving your complaint.

If you are still dissatisfied

If you've been through all stages of our complaints procedure and remain dissatisfied, you can refer your complaint to the relevant Ombudsman.

Local Government  and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Telephone: 0300 061 0614

If your complaint relates to housing management, repairs, leaseholders or transfers / mutual exchange, you will need to contact the Housing Ombudsman.

Housing Ombudsman Service

PO Box 152
L33 7WQ
Telephone: 0300 111 3000 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 9:15 to 17:15)

You can ask a designated person i.e. a local councillor, MP or designated tenant panel to mediate on your behalf and, if considered necessary, refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman. Alternatively, you can wait a period of 8 weeks after the complaints process has been exhausted and then refer the complaint direct to the Housing Ombudsman.

As part of the Housing Ombudsman's complaint handling code launched in 2020, all social housing landlords have been required to publish a self-assessment on how they meet this new code.

The Housing Ombudsman’s Complaint Handling Code [257KB]

The Complaint Handling Code acts as a guide for residents, setting out what they can expect from their landlord when they complain. It also provides residents with information about how to make a complaint and how to progress it through the landlord's internal complaints procedure.  

The self-assessment below demonstrates how the Council's Housing Service has met the code in 2020. A Council wide review of complaint handling will take place in November 2021 this will seek to deliver improvements to more closely match the code.

Housing Ombudsman Complaint Handling Code: High Peak Borough Council Self-assessment form [132KB]

Complaints procedure

Complaints, Compliments & Comments Procedure [107KB]

Complain about a Councillor

To complain about a councillor please visit our councillors page where you can find out more information on how to do this.