Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Disabled person discount

You may be entitled to a council tax discount if you, an adult or a child living with you is permanently disabled. This discount is called a 'Disabled Reduction'.

If a reduction is granted your bill will be based on the valuation band below your property.

If your home  is in band A, a reduction (equivalent to a band) will be given.

The following rules apply:

  • only people who are liable to pay council tax can apply for a reduction (even if they are not disabled)
  • the disabled person must be living in the property for which the reduction is being sought
  • the disabled person must be substantially and permanently disabled

A reduction can be given provided that the property has:

  • a room, other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory, which is used mainly by the disabled person and is required for meeting their needs
  • or an additional bathroom or kitchen which is required to meet their needs
  • or enough space for the use of a wheelchair where one needs to be used inside the dwelling