Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Mutual Exchange

Coronavirus Update

We have currently suspended all mutual exchange and transfer visits. If there is a risk of violence or harm in your current home please contact us at

Why should I consider?

Mutual exchanges can often be a quicker way of moving to a new home rather than applying for a transfer.

Who can apply?

Mutual exchange is available for public sector tenants. You are a public sector tenant if your landlord is the local council or a housing association.  

You can move home using mutual exchange by swapping your home with that of another public sector tenant in the High Peak or elsewhere in the country.

Request for Mutual Exchange

If you are a High Peak Borough Council Tenant and you have found someone to do a mutual exchange with and you are both in agreement, both parties need to apply online here.

Checks will be made to ensure that neither applicant is in rent arrears, in breach of their tenancy agreement and that your current home and garden are in good condition.

Mutual Exchange checklist [61KB]  for a High Peak Borough Council tenant.

How to apply?

To register visit the Exchange Locata website.

When you register you can say what sort of property you are looking for and then log in at any time and search for possible matches. You can see details of other tenants who wish to swap their tenancy with another secure or assured tenant both within the High Peak or outside.

You can also place an advert on the homeswap boards at our Gamesley / Buxton / Glossop offices.

Complete a Mutual Exchange card to display at the offices, other tenants are then free to look at this.  Customer details can remain confidential if required.

Buxton  Town Hall - Monday - Friday - 9.30am - 1.00pm  

Gamesley Council Office  - Thursday only - 9.30am - 4.30pm (closed for lunch 12.30pm -1.00pm)

Glossop Municipal Building - Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 9.30am - 1.00pm