Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

I can't pay the full year's balance, what should I do?

If you can't pay your balance in full, including costs, before the hearing date, we will request a liability order in the magistrates court.

Making an arrangement to pay

Although you have lost the right to pay by instalments, we will make a payment arrangement with you if:

  • you are able to set up a direct debit, OR
  • you have exceptional circumstances

Any arrangements that we make will include the £60 summons costs, plus any costs incurred in obtaining a liability order (£35).

Direct debits

Paying by direct debit is the easiest way to keep up with your payments and avoid further recovery action. You can choose to pay on the 1st, 15th or 30th of each month, over 10 or 12 instalments. We may be able to spread any arrears, including costs, over the remaining months in the financial year.

Once you have completed this form, we will set up the direct debit for you and send you a confirmation letter telling you when the instalments start and how much to pay.

Exceptional circumstances 

In some cases, we may be able to set up a special arrangement with you. If you have exceptional circumstances, or are unable to set up a direct debit, contact us using the form below.

Get help managing debt

If you need help managing your debts, you can contact Derbyshire Districts Citizens Advice. Their advice line is open Mon-Fri 9am - 4pm. The number to call is 0300 4568390.

Debt advice is also available on the Citizens Advice website.

The National Debt Advice Line is also available