Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Domestic nuisance complaints

Before you report a problem to us, try to talk to the person responsible, they might not realise they're causing a problem.

Read more about resolving neighbour disputes on GOV.UK

What we can investigate

  • Noise┬ánuisances such as loud music, noisy parties or barking dogs
  • Smoke nuisances from garden bonfires or domestic chimneys
  • Accumulation of waste or dog fouling in gardens
  • Keeping animals such as chickens 

Making a complaint

If your complaint is regarding a council property, please contact our housing officers in the first instance.

Where sufficient evidence is gained, there are a range actions that can be taken to ensure that your issue is dealt with. We don't investigate anonymous complaints. We won't reveal your identity during our initial investigations, but it may be necessary to present your statement in court should the matter result in prosecution. 

If your complaint goes on to a formal investigation stage, it may be registered against your property. This then has to be declared if and when you come to sell it.

If you wish to speak to us about domestic nuisance complaint that has been made against you, please contact Environmental Health.