Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Noise complaints

Before you report a problem to us, try to talk to the person responsible. They might not realise they're causing a problem.

Read more about resolving neighbour disputes on GOV.UK

If your complaint is regarding a council property, please find out more via our Report a council tenant noise complaint webpage.

What we will investigate

Domestic noise:

  • dogs barking for long periods of time or frequently at unsociable hours
  • excessively loud music
  • loud work at unsociable times
  • continuous ringing burglar alarms

What to do if the problem is coming from a business or industrial premise

What we won't investigate

  • one off events such as birthday parties
  • if the noise issue is intermittent and has long intervals between events
  • children playing outside 

Make a complaint

What we need from you

In order to fully investigate complaints of noise nuisance we need you to co-operate with us. We might ask you to:

  •  record noise incidents on log sheets which are provided by us
  • access your property to monitor the noise
  • provide a witness statement and appear as a council witness in any court action which may result from our investigation.

We don't investigate anonymous complaints. We won't reveal your identity during our initial investigations, but it may be necessary to present your statement in court should the matter require a prosecution.

Please be aware that if your complaint goes on to a formal investigation stage, it may be registered against your property. This then has to be declared if and when you come to sell it.

What happens next

Once we've received your complaint, you'll be sent a letter and a log sheet in the post, or via e-mail if you've given us an e-mail address. You'll be expected to complete the log sheet every time you experience the noise that you've complained about. You need to complete and return this within 28 days. If you don't do this, we will not take any further action and the case will be closed.

Intruder alarms

If a burglar alarm is the cause of the problem, you need to contact us on 0345 129 7777 straight away so that we can make arrangements to switch it off if this is possible.

If your home or business has an intruder alarm, you should consider registering your details with us.

Our Keyholder Registration scheme allows households and businesses to register the details of people who have the keys to the premises to enable the alarm to be switched off in the absence of the occupier or owner, should it begin sounding continuously. 

Other information

We do not operate an out of hours noise service but Environmental Officers can make pre-arranged visits out of hours to investigate ongoing noise complaints.  Any calls received out of hours will normally be dealt with by an officer the next working day.

If you wish to speak to us about domestic nuisance complaint that has been made against you, please contact Environmental Health.