Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Discounts for carers

There are two types of carer, the professional carer (paid) and the "unpaid" carer or relative. Either could be entitled to a reduction in their council tax provided the following criteria are met.

Paid carers

A person will be disregarded if they provide care or support (or both) to another person(s) and fulfil the following requirements:

  • he/she is providing the care or support on behalf of a relevant body OR
  • he/she is employed to provide such care or support by the person to whom it is provided and to whom he was introduced by a relevant body
  • he/she is engaged or employed to do so for at least 24 hours a week
  • he/she is in receipt of £44 or less per week from this employment
  • he/she is resident in premises provided by or on behalf of the relevant body by whom he is engaged or by his employer for the better performance of his work.

'Relevant body' means:

  • a local authority within the meaning of the Local Government Act 1972
  • the Common Council of the City of London
  • the Council of the Isles of Scilly
  • the Crown
  • a body established for charitable purposes only.

Unpaid carers

In addition, other people who are not paid to provide care may be disregarded if they meet the following requirements:

  • they are providing care to a person who is in receipt of:
    • higher rate attendance allowance
    • the highest rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
    • an increase in the rate of his disablement pension
    • an increase in a constant attendance allowance)
  • they are resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom he/she is providing care
  • they are providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average
  • they are not a disqualified relative of that person (spouse or parent of a child under the age of 18)

How to apply

Fill in our online discount form below.

If your circumstances change

If there is any change in circumstances then you must notify us. Failure to do so may result in a penalty being imposed.