Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Street trading consent

Street Trading Policy Consultation

We are consulting on our Street Trading Policy and want to hear your views. Please take a look at the document below and email your comments to

HPBC Draft Street Trading Policy [514KB]

The consultation ends on 17 June 2024.

Information on street trading and renewing or applying for a new licence or consent.

What is street trading?

If you want to sell or offer for sale any item in a street then you must have a street trading licence or street trading consent.Only applicants over the age of 17 may apply.

Street trading is regulated under Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

Where can I trade?

Trading is only allowed with written permission from the council.

Trading without consent is against the law and offenders may be prosecuted through the magistrates' court.

Terms and conditions

It's important that we ensure that road safety considerations are met, the borough is not adversely affected by large numbers of street traders and that other local businesses do not suffer as a consequence of street traders.

Read more on our  Street Trading Policy [495KB]

How to apply

Daily Street Trading Consent Application Including Disclosure and convictions [73KB]

Annual Street Trading Consent Application including Disclosure of Convictions [74KB]

Current Street Trading Consent Applications

We will display any applications we receive here.

If you would like to contact the Licensing Department with regards to any applications please e-mail:- 

What it costs

Fee From 1st April 2023
On or adjacent to a road with a speed limit of less than 40mphAnnual£3774.00
Hot food on or adjacent to a road with a speed limit of less than 40mphAnnual£6120.00
For locations adjacent to roads with a speed limit of 40mph or greaterAnnual£2448.00
For weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and Bank Holiday Mondays for locations adjacent to roads with a speed limit of 40mph or greaterAnnual£1275.00
For ice cream traders and similar activity trader, who do not stop in one street for more than 40 minutes (not on or adjacent to roads with speed limits of 40mph or greater)Annual£612.00
Trampoline and Mechanical RidesAnnual£2040.00
Charitable Events up to 10 stalls £125.00
Charitable Events 10 - 20 stalls £250.00
Charitable Events 20 plus stalls £400.00
Replacement Vehicle Plates £25.00

Payment must be made in full when you apply and be received by the Council with the Application. Part payment will only be accepted upon agreement to enter into an instalment arrangement, where an invoice for the remaining fee will be sent out to you. This option has an additional £30 administration fee, which will be added to the final bill.

Offences and penalties

If you trade without a licence, make a false statement to gain a licence or break any of the terms and conditions as set out by us you may receive a fine of up to £1,000.