Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Moving to a nursing home or hospital

If a family member or friend is moving into a nursing home, long stay hospital, hostel or hospice on a permanent basis, they may be exempt from paying council tax on a property that they still own.

What if someone else lives in the property?

If the property that the resident is leaving is still occupied by one or more adult, council tax is still payable. If there is only one adult remaining, they will be entitled to a single occupier discount.

How do I apply for an exemption

If you believe that a family member or friend qualifies for an exemption, we'll need a few details from you:

  • your name and address
  • name of person moving away to receive care
  • address of the property that is now empty
  • address of the home / hospital that the resident has moved to
  • the date that the resident moved out
  • whether they are the tenant or the owner of the property

Please complete the form below and send us all of the details above. We will contact you within 21 days to let you know if we can grant an exemption.