Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Suffering with a mental illness or impairment and threatened with homelessness

Suffering with a mental illness or impairment and threatened with homelessness

The Council's housing advice team seeks to ensure that the early identification of housing problems takes place to hopefully prevent you from becoming homeless.

This will be achieved through partnership work and multi-agency working to prevent you from becoming homeless, through the necessary support you may require.

On the basis that you are suffering from a mental illness or impairment the council will consider whether you may be vulnerable and therefore in 'priority need'.

We will provide information about the advice and advocacy services available to you and provide detail of outreach support services and supported accommodation options according to your needs through the Personal Housing Plan that will be completed with you.

If you need housing advice assistance and support with your housing needs, please contact the housing advice team.

Useful contacts

Derbyshire Recovery and Peer Support Service deliver a Derbyshire wide service to support those with mental ill health. One-to-one targeted staff support, self management workshops, peer support groups and telephone support. Support in relation to housing, welfare benefits and employment if required

Tel: 01773 734989

I-Decide Derbyshire (including P3, Amber Trust) provide accommodation and tenancy-based support for people in Derbyshire aged 16+ experiencing mental health issues. For those with existing accommodation, support is available to remain living in the home.

Tel: 01773 742051 Email:

MIND Free counselling, anger management, befriending and parent support. Tel: 01782 262 100 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)

Samaritans Telephone support and online support Tel: 116 123 24/7

Harmless is a national support service for those experiencing self harm Email:

First Steps Derbyshire offer support for those experiencing eating disorders

Tel: 01332 367571Email: