Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Help and housing information for care leavers

If you are a care leaver you may be able to get housing and other help from the Council. The help you get mainly depends on your age.

Key advice:

  • Derbyshire County Council's Children's Services team is responsible for finding you somewhere to live until you turn 18
  • If you are a 18, 19 or 20 year old homeless care leaver, the Council's housing advice service must help

If you are aged 18 to 21 and spent at least one night in care when you were 16 or 17, you are automatically classed as being in priority need until your 21st birthday. Children's services can also help you by providing support and help with training and education.

Most young people who have been in care are entitled to help if they become homeless. The help you are entitled to usually depends on your age and personal circumstances.

Find detailed information on help here. [32KB]