Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Can my lease be extended or varied?

An individual leaseholder, who satisfies certain conditions, has a right to an extension from the landlord, and can add 90 years to the existing lease term. However, there is a cost to this and the price would have to be agreed between you and High Peak Borough Council.  If agreement cannot be reached you would need to make an application to the First Tier Tribunal to set a reasonable amount.

A lease can be varied at any time with the agreement of all interested parties, ie. the council and the leaseholder(s). If no agreement can be reached it can be varied by way of an application to a Tribunal. This needs to be on the grounds that it is defective in some way, which can include that it does not make proper provision for such things as the repair or maintenance of the building, insurance etc. An application to a Tribunal can be made by either the council or the leaseholder(s).