Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Accessing your data

What We Can Tell You

You are entitled to be told whether we are using your personal data, or someone is doing so on our behalf, and to obtain:

  • a description of the personal data
  • the reasons why it is being processed;
  • where possible, the length of time that we intend to store the information;
  • who it may be disclosed to; and
  • the source of the information.

We will also provide you with information about how to complain to the Information Commissioner and about the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling, meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and the envisaged consequences of such processing.

What can't we tell you?

We may not be able to release some data to you, such as personal data which could prejudice the prevention or detection of crime; legal advice we have been given, or personal data identifying another person without their permission.

We will also not discuss other people's details with you, without written and signed authorisation from that person if they are not present.

To discuss someone else's details with you, we will need this signed permission, or a valid legal document such as a power of attorney.

Making a Request

You can make a request for the personal information held about you by High Peak Borough Council by filling in our webform. 

Protecting the public purse

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

The Council participates in the National Fraud Initiative to help to prevent and detect fraud.

Data Breaches

If you think that there has been an accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal data held by the Council then please report it to us. We call this a data breach and you can report any concerns to us by email, phone, visiting one of the Council's Offices or writing to Data Protection Officer, Buxton Town Hall, Market Place, BUXTON SK17 6EL