Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Adapting your home

Adaptations may allow High Peak Borough Council tenants to remain living independently in their homes for longer.

Who do I contact to talk about an adaptation?

If you feel that your home needs adapting in any of the following ways to meet your needs, you need to contact Derbyshire County Council Social Services in the first instance on 01629 533190.  They will assess your situation and an occupational therapist may then refer you to our in house team.

  • widening doorways or improving lighting to improve access to and within the property
  • improving access to kitchen facilities, for example, fitting appropriate height cupboards and worktops if you use a wheelchair
  • ramps and railings to improve access in and out of your home
  • changing the layout of rooms to improve access to facilities such as a toilet
  • providing a stair lift or through floor lift to provide access to the upstairs
  • fitting a shower over your bath
  • replacing your bath with a level access shower
  • converting existing rooms to alternative uses, e.g. to create a downstairs bedroom or bathroom
  • building additional facilities such as a downstairs toilet or shower where it is not possible to provide this elsewhere
  • improving access to your garden

For smaller adaptations such as grab rails and lever taps please contact ourselves

How much will an adaptation cost?

Once you have been referred to ourselves by Social Services, we may then carry out a financial assessment to determine how much, if anything, you have to contribute. If you are receiving means tested benefits, you might not have to contribute at all.

How do I get equipment to help me around the house?

There is a vast range of Help to live at Home live safely at home. Derbyshire County Council can provide support with many of these but many items can also be bought independently and at low cost. Your GP may also be able to help source wheelchairs and walking aids.

Advice and support

Many people need an extra bit of Help to live independently. This may be as a result of illness, a disability or just getting older.