Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Flooding - who to contact

Reporting flooding

If lives are in danger or there is a risk of injury, contact the emergency services (fire and rescue) as soon as possible by dialling 999.

Otherwise, the following services should be contacted:

Environment Agency

If your property is under threat from flooding from main rivers, then contact the Environment Agency's Floodline on 0345 988 1188.

The Environment Agency will be able to offer you advice or assistance on how best to reduce the damage caused by flooding.

If you live next to a river you could also have flood defences next to or in your back garden. If you have, you may also have certain rights and responsibilities.

View the Environment Agency leaflet for advice on helping to create a healthy river and prevent flooding. [322KB]

Derbyshire County Council

You should contact county council where you or your property is under threat from flooding from smaller ordinary watercourses, from surface water or from groundwater.

Please call: 01629 533 190

Report online to Derbyshire County Council

Sewer or water main flooding

Where the flooding you are experiencing is caused by a burst water main or from sewers, please contact the utility company for your area:

Road gullies

We empty gullies (road drains) on behalf of Derbyshire County Council. 
The cleaning schedule is arranged by DCC with most visited once or twice a year depending on the category of the road.
If you see a drain grid blocked with leaves and debris when it's raining, if possible, please clear the grid to allow the water to flow and prevent local flooding. 

Contact us to report a problem with gullies.

Flood Warnings

If you're worried about your property sign up to get flood warnings from the Environment Agency

You can also get regular Flood Warning updates by calling the Environment Agency's Floodline Warnings Direct on 0345 988 1188


Information on sandbags can be found on the Environment Agency website and via Derbyshire County Council.

Further information on the provision of sandbags.

Foundation Derbyshire flood relief grants

Following the recent flooding in parts of Derbyshire, Foundation Derbyshire is making financial grants to households, community groups and charities that were affected. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and subject to available funding. Anyone who has been flooded is urged to apply as soon as possible.

Priority will be given to households where there are particular cases of hardship, such as households with family members who are elderly, very young or with disabilities, people on very limited incomes, those without contents insurance and, where relevant, without buildings insurance or with very high excesses on insurance policies.

Other help

National Flood Forum Advice is Charity and a go to source of independent advice and support.

What should I do? - National Flood Forum


What to do after a flood - GOV.UK