Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Residents Financial Support

Please be aware - we are currently receiving high numbers of applications for the self-isolation support payment which may result in a delay with payments.

7 April 2022

The Self-isolation Support Payment has now closed.

Council Tax Support

The Council is committed to supporting residents where possible in easing financial pressures during these unprecedented times. 

If your council tax is payable in instalments to January or February, we can extend these to March, therefore lowering your  monthly payments.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a means-tested benefit to help people pay their rent, most new claims for Housing Benefit are now included in the Universal Credit application, unless you live in 'specified accommodation' or in 'temporary accommodation' or are Pension Credit age and single or Pension Credit age and your partner is also Pension Credit age (some exceptions to this) or you are protected by the SDP Gateway Condition.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit paid to working age claimants who require financial help. It is for those in work, as well as those out of work. It can include help with rent and childcare. Check if you are eligible here.

People who are new to Universal Credit are encouraged to read information in  the Understanding Universal Credit website for further information and guidance.

Statutory Sick Pay

On Statutory Sick Pay you can get £94.25 per week if you're too ill to work. It's paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks.

If you cannot work while you are self-isolating because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you could get SSP for every day you're in isolation. You must self isolate for at least 4 days to be eligible.

There are different rules for Agricultural Sick Pay.

New-Style Employment and Support Allowance

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you're unable to work
  • support to get back into work if you're able to

You can apply for ESA if you're employed, self-employed or unemployed. Check your eligibility here.

Tax Credits

Working Tax Credit is for working claimants, it is provided to boost the income of working people who are on a low income. Entitlement is, amongst other things, dependent upon hours worked.

Universal Credit is money paid to people responsible for children, unless protected by the SDP Gateway Condition.

Derbyshire County Council

Derbyshire County Council have put together a list of the help and support available to Derbyshire residents throughout Autumn and Winter. This includes information on grants and financial support, practical help, food, employment, utilities and much more.

Visit Derbyshire County Council website for more information.