Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Occupied properties that are exempt from council tax

Find out which properties are exempt from paying council tax and how to apply.

Properties exempt from council tax

If properties are occupied by the following groups of people, they may be exempt from paying council tax:

Other occupied property discounts

  • property used for UK armed forces accommodation, whether occupied or not
  • property for which a member of a visiting force is liable
  • a property in which a diplomat or member of an international organisation headquartered in the UK live (as defined in regulations)
  • a self-contained 'granny flat/annexe' where the person who lives in it is a relative of the owner of the main property

If you believe you are entitled to claim any of the 'other occupied property discounts' listed above you will need to contact us with further details. Fill in our online enquiry form and we will contact you as soon as possible.