Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Your responsibilities (tenants)

As tenants of a property owned by the council you have certain responsibilities for some repairs around the home yourself.

Here is a list of examples:

  • decorate internally
  • replace keys and locks
  • replace toilet seats
  • carry out any repairs to any equipment, fixtures or fittings not installed by us
  • unblock baths, sinks and wash hand basins
  • garden maintenance, including lawns, plants, bushes and trees
  • replace fuses and plugs
  • provide access at reasonable times for work to be undertaken
  • maintain and replace boundary markers such as hedges and fencing.
  • replace or repair anything damaged by you, your family or visitors to the property
  • dealing with pests and infestations (this is a chargeable service)

If you need to report a repair which is the responsibility of the council:

ReportĀ a repair (24 hours a day non-emergencies only)

Report an emergency repair by calling 0800 030 8666 Monday to Friday

For emergency repairs out of hours, please call us on 0800 030 8666

If your emergency is life threatening you should call the emergency services on 999

Tenant Alterations

We know that many people like to make alterations and improvements to their homes to suit the needs of their household that we can't fund. So that we can ensure that these improvements don't cause problems in the future, we do ask you to get written permission before.

Home insurance

Many housing customers believe that we automatically insure their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes. Unfortunately this is not the case and some tenants only realise this after the damage has been done. We make it easy for you to insure your belongings under a household contents insurance scheme. [127KB]

Tenants Contents Insurance Scheme information