Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Tenant Alterations

We know that many people like to make alterations and improvements to their homes to suit the needs of their household that we can't fund. So that we can ensure that these improvements don't cause problems in the future, we do ask you to get written permission before.

The sort of things that you need to get permission for include:

  • decorating the outside of your home
  • altering the structure of your home, including removing inside walls
  • changing or adding fixtures to the property, including in the bathroom or kitchen or installation of CCTV cameras
  • building structures such as garages, sheds, carports or pigeon lofts
  • laying a drive or making a car parking space
  • altering gas, electricity or water services and equipment (including water meters)
  • changing the land levels within the boundaries of your home
  • putting up or removing fences, hedges or other boundary markers
  • fitting extra plug sockets
  • satellite dish
  • installation of an electric vehicle charging point

You do not need permission for a smart meter.

We will not usually refuse to give you permission to carry out alterations or improvements, unless completing them will make it harder for us to maintain the property, will adversely affect your neighbours or make your property unsafe.

Unfortunately we will say no to:

  • structural changes that do not meet building regulations
  • installing pet-flaps in fire doors or doors which lead into shared areas
  • installation of laminate flooring in flats above ground floor level
  • dividing bedrooms into multiple rooms or creating new rooms
  • anything that makes the property more vulnerable to fire

When we give permission we may set certain conditions, which you must keep to when you carry out the work. If you start work without our permission,  you may have to put the property back into its original condition. If you do not, we may do the work and you will have to pay for this. 

To get approval for alterations or improvements, you just need to complete an alteration form and return it to us.

Depending on the alteration you want to make, a surveyor or member of the Neighbourhoods team will visit to have a look at what you'd like to do and ask any questions we may have.

If you are concerned you may have already completed an alteration that needed permission please get in touch with your Neighbourhood Co-ordinator so we can check this for you.